Monday, December 29, 2008
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! I got a lot of great gifts and was glad to be able to spend time with family but I'm so glad it's all over. I was lacking in Christmas spirit this year. We had our last family Christmas on Saturday. As soon as we got home I started putting the decorations away. Normally I feel a little sad once everything is down but this year I kind of felt a sense of relief that it was gone. Hopefully family issues will be sorted out next year and I'll be back to my Christmas overloaded self.
Anyway, I worked on a few small projects last night. I've been seeing cute little canvas paintings like these around blog world lately. They're all very cute, but don't really fit into my budget right now so I thought I'd try to make my own. So I went to Walmart and picked up this 10x10 canvas for $3.79.
Here's the end result. It's not as cute as the ones I've seen online but the money saved makes up for it.
I also dyed our bedroom curtains in our kitchen sink last night. What a job that was! I think I'll try the washing machine method if I ever do it again.
Thursday, December 25, 2008
I've never had any of these cute Good Mail labels but I've wanted them for so long!
Really cute handmade cards.
A cute pink, glittery snowflake.
Yummy M&Ms in the Pink Christmas spirit.
Pictures loaded in reverse order, so first up are the awesome Peppermint flavored sugar crystals that came in my hot chocolate kit. I didn't even know they made flavored sugar crystals. Very cool!
A peek inside my hot chocolate kit.
The outside of the hot chocolate kit.
Two of my favorite things: Ritter Sport candy bars and Orbit Sweet Mint gum.
Cute little notebook to take Christmas shopping with me next year. It even has a little receipt keeper inside the front cover.
And a look at all the loot.
Thank you so much Carolynn!!
Monday, December 22, 2008
It was really fun! We played three times before I decided that I couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to play another game.
Do you know the answers?
This will most likely be my only post for the week. We will be heading to my mom's on Christmas Eve. We will come back here on Christmas day and have our Christmas. I'll be out looking for some deals the day after Christmas and doing a lot of baking in preparation for my husband's side of the family's Christmas on Saturday.
Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!!
Thursday, December 18, 2008
I'll leave you with my favorite SNL Christmas skit:
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
The first is a Christmas Spirit award.
The Rules are simple:
1. I love the warm, cozy feeling it brings.
2. I love putting up the Christmas decorations.
3. I love baking the special treats I only make during the season.
4. I love spending the day with my husband's larger, louder (in a good way) family and I love spending the day with my small, quiet family.
*List six things that make you happy.
*Pass the award on to 5 other bloggers
*Link back to the person who gave you the award.
*Link to the people you are passing it on to and leave them a comment to let them know.
6 things that make me happy:
1. My husband
2. My family
3. Hobby Lobby
5. Finding good deals
6. Crafting/redoing pieces
I'm passing this one on to:
House of Whimsey
Living a Dream
Our Cozy Nest
Thanks for passing these awards on to me Lisa!!
Sunday, December 14, 2008
I made some cut-out cookies yesterday. I used my Grandma H's recipe, it's my favorite cut-out cookie recipe. We had planned to take some to my brother-in-law's house today but couldn't make it over there since there our car got stuck early this morning.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
50 random things about you! If you read this, FILL IT OUT! Learn 50 things about your friends, and let them learn 50 things about you!
1. Do you like cheese? Yes, most of 'em anyway
2. Have you ever smoked? Tried it once when I was in high school and thought I was going to die because it tasted so bad....so NO!!
3. Do you own a gun? No.
4. Do you like listening to Christmas music? Love it!!!
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? Sometimes, and if I know they are going to draw blood I do all but panic, ok maybe I do panic
6. What do you think of hot dogs? I like them once in awhile, til I take a bite and get a hard piece
7. Favorite Christmas song? All I Want For Christmas (Is You), Happy XMas (War is Over)
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? water or milk
9. Can you do push ups? Not many
10. Who is your favorite Grey's Anatomy Character? Don't watch it
11. What's your favorite piece of jewelry? My wedding ring and my diamond necklace David gave me on our first Christmas together
12. Favorite hobby? Crafting and baking
13. Do you eat "exotic" foods? Not unless I know exactly what it is before I put it in my mouth
14. Do you have A.D.D.? Sometimes I am positive I do
15. What one trait do you hate about yourself? Lately....lack of ambition
16. Middle Name? Ann....after my mom
17. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment? I really hope the blizzard hits on Sunday so we don't have school on Monday. My nose is freezing. I should have eaten supper instead of all those peanut M&Ms.
18. Name 3 things you bought yesterday? I don't think I bought anything yesterday.
19. Name 3 drinks you regularly drink? Water, pop, milk
20. Current worry right now? Wonder when we'll get the car window to roll up so I can drive it again.
21. Current hate? My cold nose.
22. Favorite place to be? home
23. How did you bring in the New Year? with David
24. Where would you like to go? somewhere warm
25. Name three people who will complete this? No idea
26. Do you own flip flops? Yes, lots
27. What shirt are you wearing? A purple T-shirt from the daycare I used to work at
28. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? I don't think I ever have
29. Can you whistle? yup, two ways - lips and teeth
30. Favorite color? blue and green
31. Would you be a pirate? Hmmm....I would like not having to take showers but wouldn't like having a peg leg
32. What songs do you sing in the shower? I don't sing in the shower
33. Favorite girl's name? not sure
34. Favorite boy's name? don't have one
35. What's in your pocket right now? nothing
6. Last thing that made you laugh? I was at home sick Thursday. When I returned on Friday, one of my students gave me a big hug and said, "Mrs. L. I missed you yesterday!" I said, "I missed you too." to which he said, "I know" with such sympathy in his voice that it seemed like he was certain that I had had a very hard time being away from him for a day, it was cute
37. Best bed sheets as a child? Can't remember
38. Worst injury you've ever had? Back and head injury when rear ended a couple years ago
39. Do you love where you live? The town is nice....the apartment sucks
40. How many TVs do you have in your house? 3
41. Who is your loudest friend? Hmmm...Candy?
42. How many dogs do you have? 0
43. Does someone have a crush on you? Well, I hope my husband still does.
44. Do you get embarrassed easily? YES! and I hate it
45. What is your favorite book? Twilight series
46. What is your favorite candy? Chocolate
47. Do you know all the words to the Fresh Prince theme song? yup
48. What song do you want played at your funeral? One Sweet Day - Mariah Carey & Boys II Men
49. What were you doing 12 AM last night? sleeping
50. What was the first thing you thought of when you woke up? I can sleep in tomorrow!!
Friday, December 12, 2008
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
South Dakota has a population of approximately 780,000. So if you’ve never been to SD that’s probably why you’ve never met a South Dakotan. South Dakota is ranked 17th in the US for area, but 46th for population so we have lots of room to spread out. Oh, and our state capital is Pierre (say peer, not the French name).
One big plus about living in SD is that driving is pretty relaxed. You can tell how long it will take to get somewhere based on how many miles you’re driving. Going 30 miles? Takes 30 minutes. 75 miles? 75 minutes. Of course this isn’t necessarily the case in the winter.
We get to experience each of the 4 seasons in SD. Sometimes the seasons kind of run together and we have a blizzard in the spring (like the day before our wedding), a fall-like day in the middle of winter, etc. etc. And, if it's above 40 degrees in the winter you're almost guaranteed to see a handful of people wearing shorts. For example, it is currently 5 degrees outside and my husband wore shorts to work and he's not the only person I saw wearing shorts today. Sometimes we even get to experience winter and summer in the same day. This is a weather advisory map taken from a local news station. I believe this is from the last day of April this year.
Want to know how South Dakotans sound? I’d say we east river residents have a cross between a Sarah Palin and a “Fargo” sound but not as northern. We just have a little twang. We tend to stress the long “o” sound and say it more like “oh” than “o” – say South Dakooohhta. I think west river residents have less of an “accent”.
Mount Rushmore, Badlands National Park, and the Black Hills.
Some you may not heard of or know much about:
Monday, December 8, 2008
Emmet - very cute
Rosalie - beautiful
Esme - perfect
Edward - could have been cuter
Carlisle - perfect and cute
Alice - good choice, love the hair
Jasper - cute, though he looked painfully constipated throughout the movie
Bella - hmm...not really sure, sometimes I just wanted to give her a swift kick in the butt and tell her to smile, she's way more serious in the movie than I pictured her to be while reading
And that's about all I have to say. I was neither impressed nor disappointed.
Friday, December 5, 2008
1. His dimples. Oh how I hope our children have his dimples!
3. His big heart.
4. His intelligence. He’s a very smart man and has a ton of useless knowledge in his head. I used to think I was good at Trivial Pursuit until I played him. Now it’s not so fun anymore :o)
5. His musical talent. He used to say, “Hey, I wrote you a song today.” Then he’d start playing Layla by Eric Clapton on his guitar and substitute Nichole for Layla. Pretty cute.
6. His way with words. I have a box full of notes and letters he has written me.
7. He is very romantic.
8. He is very close with his family.
9. His sense of humor. He’ll do anything to make me laugh.
wearing some sexy glasses he found at his mom and dad's house
10. He’s a good cook :o)
To find out more about My Husband Rocks! visit Katy Lin at the great adventure
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
In honor of my 100th post I'm having a little giveaway. If you'd like to enter, simply leave a comment on this post. If you don't have a blog please leave an email address, or a way to get ahold of you in case you are the winner. All comments received by 6pm on Thursday (12/4) will be entered in the drawing. I'll announce the winner either Thursday evening or Friday.
Monday, December 1, 2008
Today I'm joining in on Thrifty Decor Chick's "These are a few of my favorite things" linky party.
I already mentioned that I have a small addiction to Martha Stewart glitter. LOVE that stuff!!
Love the Sierra Mist Free Cranberry Splash.
I was a little afraid to try these when I first saw them but they are so good!
I'm lovin' our new Christmas stockings from Dollar Tree.
Some other favorites include:
TV show: Ghost Whisperer, The Biggest Loser, Ghost Hunters
Favorite song: Single Ladies-Beyonce
Favorite Christmas songs: All I Want for Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey, Happy XMas (War is Over) - John Lennon, Santa Claus is Coming to Town - Bruce Springsteen, It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, Santa Baby, White Christmas, Silver Bells, Silent Night
Home decor: New comforter set
Home activity for the month: Christmas baking!!
Come back tomorrow for my 100th post giveaway!